1/8 Photos of Crisp Fried Smelt - Smelts
I remember making these as a young girl during lent. The last time before today was for my FIL who is gone now for 22 years. He enjoyed them so. These small fish are very addictive. This simple recipe is easy quick and only 4 ingredients. Smelt is the name of a family of silvery fishes found in cool waters. Most measure less than 8 inches (20 centimeters) long. Smelts have a small, fleshy fin behind the dorsal fin on the back like trout and salmon. This is very inexpensive, making it great for those on a tight budget.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place flour in gallon or quart size storage bag add fish shake to coat.
- 2Mix egg and milk together and dip fish to coat. Then reflour the fish.
- 3In a large hot pan add frying oil or Crisco to cover bottom of pan, heat oil then place fish in till browned on one side flip and brown. About 2 minutes.
- 4Remove to paper towel or brown paper to drain oil season generously with salt and pepper and garnish if desired with lemon.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crisp Fried Smelt - Smelts
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.2
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 157.4 mg
- Sodium 132.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 33.8 g