Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 34 mins
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh compressed yeast
- 2 cups water, tepid (about 99F/37C)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups 4 grain bread flour (mixed from wheat, rye, barley, and oats)
- To roll out: 1 1/4 cups plain white flour Crumble the yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Pour on the water.
- Stir to dissolve the yeast. Add salt and bread flour.
- Knead to an elastic dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured work surface. Cut into 3 parts.
- Form each part into a sausage and cut it into 8 pieces.
- Form each piece into a round ball.
- Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out each ball into a very thin circle. N.B.
- Do not knead! Roll and turn the cake several times.
- When it is very thin, about 2 mm (1/12"), prick very closely with a fork.
- Make a hole in the middle of each cake. Place two cakes on each baking sheet. Bake at once at 275M-0C/525M-0F oven for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.
Very nice flat bread with so few ingredients.Makes a good pizza crust too,I added garlic powder one time for variety and it was good.Thanks for the recipe Dave!