Prep 30 mins
Cook 72 hrs
This is a sweet cucumber pickle. These pickles stay crisp for up to a year in the freezer. They are so easy to make and very good. I have just defrosted a bag (pictured here) after 8 months in the freezer and they are still as crisp as the day I made them.
- 7 cups thin sliced cucumbers (with peel)
- 1 large sweet onion, medium sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups white sugar
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir well, cover and refrigerate for 3 days. Stir every day.
- Pack into freezer containers and cover with brine (I use ziplock bags to have the pickles in small portions and then place the small bags in a larger freezer container). Freeze Thaw before serving.
This is a great recipie! I have been using this same recipie for years. It's hard to believe that the cucumbers stay crisp after they have been in the freezer. For those of you who like creamed cucumbers, just drain a little of the juice off and add salad dressing. Mix and enjoy! (I usually don't let mine set for 72 hours, overnite works just as well)
Oh sweet/tangy joy!!! I made these replacing the white sugar with 1/2 the amount of Splenda (the carb count scared me to death :) The only problem I see is preparing enough to actually make it to the freezer! I have to taste a few every time I open the fridge. They are wonderful.
Recipe is very easy to make. My husband loves these and eats them any chance he gets. Only change I made was to reduce the sugar by half.