Recipe by Oolala
From Food and Wine magazine. Never made it but it was tucked into my files. Hope to make it soon. You make a rub and broil the chicken. There is a tomato and scallion salad along with it. Goes well with Jasmine rice.
Top Review by Mary N.
I made this for dinner tonight for company and it was FANTASTIC!! You have to like cilantro or you will not like this dish. I happen to love it, so this was awesome to me!! I used skinless, boneless chicken breat and slathered on the rub for 15 minutes before I threw them on a well oiled grill. My kids even liked it and that is saying something!! I did not add as much pepper in either. I did use freshly ground black pepper, but closer to a 3/4 of a tsp not as much as the recipe called for. The smell of the garlic, lime and cilantro was amazing! The tomato salsa really hit the spot on this chicken, but then I love tomatoes too. I served with garlic mashed potatoes and veggies. mmmm! Thanks Oolala for the recipe!
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more
- salt, for seasoning
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaf, plus
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves, skin on, about 2 . 5 lbs
- 2 tomatoes, large, cut into wedges
- 1 scallion, white and green part, chopped
- 1 pinch sugar
- lime wedge, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Broiler.
- In a mini food processor, pulse the garlic with the cracked pepper and 2 teaspoons of salt until the garlic is minced.
- Add 1 cup of cilantro, lime juice, crushed red pepper and 1 tablespoons of the olive oil and pulse until a chunky paste forms.
- Rub the paste under the skin and all over the chicken breasts.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with the scallion and season with a pinch each of sugar and salt.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss well.
- Season the chicken with salt.
- Set a rack in the oven 5 inches from the heat source.
- Broil the chicken, skin side down, for 6 minutes, then turn and broil 6 minutes longer, until the skin is crisp and the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to plates, garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoons of cilantro and the lime wedges and serve with the tomatoes.