Top Review by Jackie Rose
This recipe is almost like the one and I have made for at least 30 years. It was handed down to me from my grandmother...To add to this recipe I add 2 green and 2 red peppers sliced thin also...While heating, add several cloves of garlic...I also process in a hot water bath for at least 10 min. just to be on the safe side....I have taken several "blue ribbons" with this recipe.
- 4 quarts cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 8 medium white onions (Onions should be peeled and thinly sliced.)
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 5 cups cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the cucumbers and onions with the salt and 2 quarts of cracked ice and let them stand, covered with a weighted lid, for 3 hours.
- Drain thoroughly and put the vegetables in a large kettle.
- Add the sugar, spices and vinegar and bring almost to a boil, stirring often with a wooden spoon, but do not boil.
- Pack the pickles into hot jars and seal.