Recipe by Lynnsie
My Mother made these every summer for years. She got the recipe from the KY STATE FAIR. A pint of these pickles disappears at any family gathering we have. They create many fond memories and start great stories at the gatherings. The recipe can easily be doubled. That would take nearly a 1/2 bushel of cucumbers.
- 4 quarts sliced cucumbers (12 medium to large cukes)
- 6 medium onions
- 2 green peppers
- 1⁄3 cup pickling salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice cucumbers, onions and peppers. Add salt. Mix. Cover with crushed ice, mix again and let stand 3 hours. Drain. Place in large pot.
- Combine remaining ingredients, pour over cucumbers. Heat to boiling only. This is most important, if they are allowed to boil they get soft. Seal in sterile jars (process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath to get a good seal).
- Note: In the fall this same recipe can be used for green tomatoes.