Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
- Cut the meat in thin slices along the grain, not across it.
- Pound the slices until they almost fall apart.
- Put the meat and all the other ingredients except the Oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring now and then, until the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove the meat and tear it into fine strips using two forks.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan to gather the residue, add the oil and set it over Medium heat.
- When the oil is hot add the meat shreds and fry, stirring, until they are crisp and dark brown.
- Drain on paper towels before serving.
Well I started cooking this - thought this is not going to work but stuck with it as my meat looked like it was going to be tough. However once the liquid evaporated it was good. I used the beef to wrap in Vietnamese rice paper wraps with salads and herbs. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and the flavour was very good. I wonder if you used a higher grade beef if it would be even more tender? Thanks for the recipe - very nice flavour.