Recipe by looneytunesfan
From the Crisco website.
Top Review by kubacat3
I have been making this recipe for years and always get rave reviews and friends asking me to make it for them. There is one ingredient missing from the original recipe and that is Accent. (MSG) This ingredient is what makes it so delicious and I can't find the original recipe to know how much to use. It is very bland in my opinion without it and very very few people have a mild and temporary allergic reaction to it according the major medical sites. How much do I use? Does anyone know???
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) frying chickens, cut up or 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) use chicken pieces
- Crisco shortening (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk and egg in medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine flour, garlic salt, paprika, pepper and poultry seasoning in paper or plastic bag. Add a few pieces of chicken at a time. Shake to coat.
- Dip chicken in milk-egg mixture. Shake second time in flour mixture. Skillet or deep fry in Crisco (see below).
- To skillet fry, heat 1/2 to 1-inch Crisco to 365° in electric or in large heavy skillet on medium-high heat. Brown chicken on all sides. Reduce heat to 275° or medium-low heat. Continue cooking until chicken is tender about 30-40 minutes. Do not cover. Turn chicken several times during cooking. Drain on paper towels.
- To deep fry, heat 2 or 3-inches Crisco to 365° in deep fryer or deep saucepan. Fry chicken for 15-18 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- For extra spicy chicken, increase black pepper to 2 teaspoons and poultry seasoning to 1/2 teaspoon.