Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1 cup Crisco or 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream Crisco and sugar together; add egg.
- Sift soda, cream of tartar and flour together.
- Add vanilla.
- Form into balls the size of walnuts.
- Roll in sugar; place on cookie sheet. Press down with thumb.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes.
This was a bland version of a sugar cookie. I think it would have been better with butter for the flavor. the texture was light an crisp.
Kind of like a sugar cookie with a slight maple taste. That is what it tasted like to me. Easy to prepare. Thanks Tonkcats. Bullwinkle.
I have to agree that the name of these cookies isn't appetizing, however I am so glad they are named what they are! I was looking for a cookie recipe that required shortening instead of butter and was trying to figure out how to do my search. Well, lo and behold Crisco cookies popped up and it was exactly what I needed! These cookies were very good. Light and soft on the inside, crispy on the outside. Delicious flavor and perfect with a glass of milk!