Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from a 1959 Crisco cookbook, Praise For The Cook, and I'm posting it as part of my ongoing contribution of vintage recipes from my vast collection of older cookbooks. In the cookbook it says this recipe is "how to turn leftover meats into a sumptuous dish".
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt shortening; brown mushrooms.
- Add flour to mushrooms and stir until blended, then slowly stir in the stock.
- Turn heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Add chicken, sherry, salt and cayenne to skillet and stir well to combine; cook until chicken is hot.
- Add a small amount of the hot sauce to the egg yolks, which you should have in a small bowl, to temper the egg yolks so they won't curdle when they hit the hot sauce.
- When tempered, stir egg yolks into chicken mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in pimiento strips, and serve over rice or hot biscuits.
This is a very nice, easy, and quick recipe. Did not have shortening so used butter, same with the sherry wine, used white wine instead. It tasted really good over white rice. A definite keeper