Recipe by Baseball Mom in TX
Family Favorite. We use semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate and we prefer pecans instead of walnuts. There are several variations to this recipe you just have to be creative.
- 3⁄4 cup butter-flavor Crisco sticks or 3⁄4 cup crisco butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oats, uncooked (not instant or old fashioned)
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) jar caramel topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350*F.
- Spray bottom and sides of 9x9x2-inch pan with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine shortening, oats, sugar, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Mix at low speed until crumbs form.
- Reserve 1/2 cup for topping.
- Press remaining crumbs into prepared pan.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over crust.
- In a medium bowl combine caramel topping and remaining 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
- Stir until well blended.
- Drizzle over chocolate chips and nuts.
- Sprinkle reserved 1/2 cup crumbs over caramel topping.
- Return to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Run spatula around edge of pan before cooling.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into 1-1/2x1-1/2 inch squares.