Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is great as a topper to ice cream or even cheesecake.
- 2 cups strawberries, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime peel, finely grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- In a large bowl, stir strawberries with sugar, lime peel and lime juice.
- Taste and add more juice or sugar, depending on your desired tartness or sweetness.
- Let sit at room temperature up to 1 hour. Spoon over ice cream or cheesecake.
This is a real summer treat without all of the sugar that usually goes into such things. I used Splenda for the sugar and added some dried mint only because I love strawberries with mint. The lime was an inspired ingredient and it is clearly tasted in this. With a scoop of sugar free ice cream you have a spectacular diabetic dessert.
This is a light & absolutely delicious fruit topping that you really should try. However, it is almost too delicate for the cheesecake. I had some over cheesecake & also ate some straight. The flavor shone through better when it was eaten "as is". I zested one lime & used the juice of 1/2 of it, which was more than the amount specified in the recipe, but I thought it was just perfect. It would be lovely in a strawberry shortcake too. I had some blueberries & threw a few of them in as well. I have never combined lime & strawberries before, but will be looking through the Zaar database for more recipes with this combination, as it was just fantastic. Edited to add, it works well with Splenda as well.