Recipe by Antifreesz
This is from the Living the Country Life magazine, Oct.'09 If you can't find fresh or frozen cranberries, 1 cup of dried cranberries works wonderfully.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups cooking apples, sliced peeled
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats or 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg or 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (optional) or 2 tablespoons coconut (optional)
- fat-free vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt (optional) or fat-free half-and-half (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon, place the apples and cranberries in an ungreased 11/2-quart casserole.
- Sprinkle sugar-cinnamon mixture over fruit, toss gently to coat.
- Bake, covered, in a 375°F oven for 25 minutes.
- For topping, in a small mixing bowl combine oats, brown sugar, flour, and nutmeg or ginger.
- With a pastry blender, cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in nuts or coconut, if you like.
- Sprinkle topping over partially cooked fruit mixture.
- Return to oven and bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes more or until fruit is tender and topping is golden.
- Cool slightly.
- Serve warm with ice cream, frozen yogurt, or fat-free half-and-half, if you like. .