Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Apparently "crimping" is a food preparation term...who knew? I got this from a "Best American Recipes" cookbook. Enjoy!
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 carrot, coarsely diced
- 1⁄2 onion, coarsely diced
- 1 celery rib, coarsely diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 peppercorns
- 24 raw jumbo shrimp, peeled with tails on
- seafood cocktail sauce
- Bring everything but shrimp to a boil in a large saucepan or dutch oven, covered. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp, cover again, and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and steep, covered, for 4 minutes.
- Remove shrimp and chill well (at least 90 minutes).
- Serve with cocktail sauce.
- Note: you can freeze the poaching liquid to use again -- just strain it first.
This couldn't have been easier or more flavorful. I made it just as written and won't change a thing next time. I've taken your suggestion, Aunt Cookie, and frozen the shrimp stock for future use in a soup. Delicious with Dana-MMH's Super Easy Cocktail Sauce Super Easy Cocktail Sauce.