Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
wonderfully thick and creamy chowder. Simple to make. The secret is to let this sit all day, or overnight, in the refrigerator and reheat slowly. We serve this with oyster crackers and a slice of butter on top.
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, finely diced
- clam juice, bottled
- 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans clams, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put onions, celery and potatoes in large saucepan and pour clam juice over top until barely covered. This usually takes me 2 bottles.
- Simmer, covered, over medium heat until barely tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter.
- Add flour and blend, stirring contantly.
- Add half and half slowly, cook and stir with wire whisk until smooth and thick.
- Add undrained vegetables and clams, and heat through.
Thick and creamy sums this up well. It's a terrifif, restaurant-style chowder that is easy to make. I cut the butter back to 1/2 cup just to save some fat calories. Thanx for a great clam chowder!
And just when I thought that clam chowder could not get any better. This is great. I only made one littel boo boo and that was that i cut the recipe in half. No leftovers. Best I have had in years. Good Job CricketBird Marty Wheeler
I cut this recipe back by 2/3 since it was easiest to use just 1 can of the clams, & the resulting amount satisfied 2 of us just fine! This is, however, a recipe I want to keep on hand to make for company another time ~ A GREAT, GREAT CLAM CHOWDER, & very easy to prepare! thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick-A-Chef]