Recipe by cricketbird
wonderfully thick and creamy chowder. Simple to make. The secret is to let this sit all day, or overnight, in the refrigerator and reheat slowly. We serve this with oyster crackers and a slice of butter on top.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Thick and creamy sums this up well. It's a terrifif, restaurant-style chowder that is easy to make. I cut the butter back to 1/2 cup just to save some fat calories. Thanx for a great clam chowder!
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, finely diced
- clam juice, bottled
- 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans clams, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put onions, celery and potatoes in large saucepan and pour clam juice over top until barely covered. This usually takes me 2 bottles.
- Simmer, covered, over medium heat until barely tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter.
- Add flour and blend, stirring contantly.
- Add half and half slowly, cook and stir with wire whisk until smooth and thick.
- Add undrained vegetables and clams, and heat through.