Prep 6 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This French Canadian recipe is posted by request. The Lumber Jacks used to take this with them into the woods.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch clove
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- In a large sauce pan add all the ingredients except the bread crumbs.
- Using 2 knives mince the meat mixture as it beging to cook over medium heat.
- Cook for 1 hour stirring often and breaking up-you really want this minced fine.
- When the hour is up, add the bread crumbs and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, cool and place in the fridge in a clean container.
Love this! You can also add minced carrot or celery...
I had never had Cretons before and had to try this recipe. I made it exactly as written- it was very easy, and turned out great. I enjoyed it with toast and mustard. Thanks DiB's- this one's a keeper.
The comments I want to make are not because I have cooked this recipe but because I have been wanting to find it!! My mother, now deceased, use to make this and she called it a different name, in French. I am almost positive it is the same recipe but am wondering if there are any variations that are common to those who make or have made this. My sisters and I will be thrilled if this is the recipe we have been looking for!!