Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Green beans and tomatoes. Sprinkle with some crumbled feta cheese, if desired.
Make and share this Cretan Green Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb fresh green beans, tips snapped off
- 1 cup diced tomato, canned (drain and reserve 1/2 cup liquid)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- water, as needed
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring, until golden.
- Add all remaining ingredients, including reserved tomato juice. Add water if needed, to just cover beans.
- Cover pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve beans with juices.
This was a nice change of pace from the usual green beans I make. I love tomatoes, so it was nice to have them along with the green beans. Only thing is there was too much liquid, not sure if I was suppose to drain the beans at the end, but then I felt you wouldn't get the tomato flavor enough. I used fresh green beans and fresh herbs from my garden. Next time I will use a little more herbs, felt it could have been a little more flavorful or maybe use the flavored diced tomatoes.