Recipe by BecR
This is a great breakfast/brunch casserole that is lovely for a Mother's Day brunch, New Year's Day Brunch, or other gathering. Serve with fresh fruit and your favorite beverage. Easily made ahead--just assemble the night before and refrigerate overnight. In the morning just pop into the oven and bake for about 1 hour plus a few minutes more, until hot. From the local paper.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 8 cups sourdough bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (leave crusts on)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces gorgonzola, chunked
- 12 ounces chopped ham
- 18 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, such as cara mia, drained
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus a little more
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk and oil.
- Add bread cubes and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes, until bread has absorbed most or all of the liquid.
- In another bowl, whisk together heavy cream, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Add the gorgonzola.
- In a single layer, place half of the soaked bred cubes into baking pan.
- Top with half of the ham, half of the artichoke hearts and half of the Jack and parmesan cheeses.
- Repeat the layering.
- Pour the cream and egg mixture over the layers.
- Lightly sprinkle the top of the casserole with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until set.