Recipe by English_Rose
For a great tasting supper, rustle up these baked pancake parcels with cheese and prosciutto filling under a bubbling tomato sauce. Kids love them!
- 8 ready-made pancakes, savory
For the filling
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces buffalo mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 5 slices prosciutto, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling together in a large bowl. Season well with nutmeg, salt and pepper and set aside.
- To make the tomato sauce, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a moderate heat.
- Add the garlic, and as soon as it begins to brown add the tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over a fairly high heat for about 15-20 minutes, until thickened, stirring frequently. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F Take the first pancake and spoon one eighth of the filling across the centre. Flip the sides over to cover the ends of the filling then roll the pancake parcel up neatly.
- Place in a lightly oiled ovenproof dish large enough to take all the filled pancakes in a cosy, single layer.
- Repeat with the remaining pancakes and filling. Pour over the tomato sauce then bake in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, until bubbling hot. Serve at once.