Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A friend of the family shared this recipe several years ago. These rolls are very impressive and look like you have worked hard...only the cook knows. Prep/cooking time does not include rise time.
- Dissolve yeast, 1 Tablespoon sugar in the water.
- Let stand (proof) for 5 minutes.
- Mix butter, salt, milk and remaining sugar in large mixing bowl.
- Add 2 cups flour mixing well.
- Add yeast and beaten eggs. Beat well.
- Add remaining flour or enough to make a soft dough.
- Cover dough and let rest 20 minutes.
- Knead dough on lightly floured board and place in a greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down and divide dough into thirds. Roll into a 12" diameter circle, cut circle into 16 pie shaped pieces.
- Roll up into crescent shapes starting with the wides end.
- Place crescent rolls on greased cookie sheet and let rise 1 hour - cover lightly with plastic wrap or flour sack tea towel. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 10-12 minutes in 375º oven or until golden brown.
- *Note - leave plenty of room on sheets - these rolls need plenty of room - do not crowd.
Great rolls! I make crescent rolls as part of our Thanksgiving and Easter meals each year. I had settled on a favorite recipe several years ago and had been making it since, but decided to try a new one this past Easter. I think I made a good choice with this one. :) I always make the rolls ahead of time, underbake them just a bit, then reheat in the oven right before serving. And I always brush them with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven (I think that's crucial :) ). Anyway, my Easter crowd loved these--thanks for posting the recipe!
Just made this recipe tonight they were GREAT! But I didn't use them as rolls... I made pizza pockets and my kids LOVED them. My son who is a picky eater and is also hard to get to eat an entire "his size" meal, ate a whole one about the size of a hot pocket from the store. We like them so much I think we will make pigs in a blanket tomorrow night. Thank you for posting!
Absolutely amazing! This one is a keeper