Recipe by HeatherFeather
Traditional Palmiers are flaky, buttery cookie-like pastries also known as Elephant Ears or PigTails in some regions. This cheater's method is adapted from a Pillsbury recipe. These are smaller than what you'd find in a bakeries and they taste a little bit different - they are so light and have just a hint of lemon. And these are increbily easy & lightning fast - perfect when you have last minute guests.
Top Review by ~*Miss Diggy*~
These were soo good, and gone within a half hour of being done! THANKS SO MUCH!!! I loved them and didnt change anything about them. What a wonderful dessert to make! mmmmmmm
- 4 -6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, zest of
- 1 (8 ounce) can crescent roll dough (tube)
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Combine 2 Tbsp of the sugar and the lemon zest in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sprinkle some of the remaining sugar onto a work surface, enough to dust the area well.
- Open the dough tube and separate the dough into two rectangular pieces (pressing together any of the triangular perforations so that you have two flat separate rectangles).
- Roll out each rectangle separately onto the sugared surface to even out the dough.
- Using a pastry brush, paint the beaten egg across both pieces of dough.
- If needed, you may use an additional egg white.
- Sprinkle the sugar/lemon zest mixture you made earlier evenly over each rectangle.
- Starting with one rectangle of dough, roll up the left and right longest sides of the rectangle (jelly-roll stye) into the center, meeting at the center.
- With a sharp knife, cut small slices (about 1/4" thick) from the short edge; the cut pieces of dough, when placed flat, should look like almost like a bowtie- with two coils at either side.
- Place cut side down, so they lie flat, onto greased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle lightly with some remaining sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for 8-11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheets.
- Set on racks to cool completely.