1 hr 25 mins
This recipe goes back many years and is still a family favorite ---shredded old cheddar can be replaced with the cheese slices if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- 1/4-1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 large egg whites
- 5 -6 slices kraft american cheddar cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Lightly grease a 9 or 10-inch pie plate.
- 2In a large skillet brown the ground beef with onion, garlic, bell pepper, oregano and chili flakes (if using) drain fat, season with seasoned salt and black pepper, then mix in 1/4-1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- 3Stir in the tomato sauce and mushrooms; simmer for about 10-12 minutes.
- 4Unroll one package of crescent rolls and separate the dough in triangles; arrange the triangles with pointed ends to the center, then press the edges together to form a pie shell.
- 5In a bowl beat together 2 egg yolks and 3 egg whites until well combined.
- 6Pour HALF of the egg mixture over the pie shell.
- 7Spoon the meat mixture into the shell over the egg mixture.
- 8Arrange the cheese slices over the beef mixture, then top with remaining beaten egg mixture.
- 9Unroll the second crescent roll package, then place four sections of dough together to form a 12x16-inch rectangle; press edges and perforations together, then roll the dough into a 12-inch square.
- 10In a small bowl whisk 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon cold water.
- 11Brush the edges of bottom crust with yolk/water mixture, then place the dough on top of the beef filling; trim, seal and flute edges.
- 12Cut small two slits in top of the crust, then brush the top dough with yolk/water mixture; sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
- 13Loosley cover the edge with a foil strip to prevent browning.
- 14Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- 15Cover the center of the pie loosley with foil and continue to bake for about 20 minutes longer.
- 16Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crescent Cheeseburger Pie
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.9
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 206.5 mg
- Sodium 841.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 34.2 g