Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
The almond flavor highlights the special filling in these delights - the bread crumbs are the secret ingredient. From cookingclub.com NOTE: I just made these and I only used 1 tsp. of almond extract - this was PLENTY I find! And they are yummy...DSS is on his second one!
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 (8 ounce) can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg lightly with whisk. Place 1/2 of the egg (about 1 1/2 Tbs.) in a custard cup and beat in the milk until well blended. Set this aside, it will be used as a wash later.
- To the remaining egg in the bowl, stir in the remaining filling ingredients until well blended.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart heavy saucepan, mix glaze ingredients. Heat to boiling and remove from heat; cool while making rolls.
- On a lightly floured work surface, unroll dough; press into a 12x8-inch rectangle, firmly pressing perforations to seal.
- Spoon filling into a 12x2-inch strip lengthwise down the center 1/3 of the dough.
- Fold 1/3 of dough over filling. Then fold the filling-topped section over the last 1/3 of dough so the seam is on the bottom.
- With hand, gently flatten 1-inch wide strip of dough along one long side of folded dough.
- Cut folded dough crosswise into 6 (2-inch) pastries. Along flattened edge of each pastry, cut 1-inch long cuts about 1/2 inch apart.
- Lightly brush the egg-milk mixture from earlier over each pastry. Place almonds on a plate and invert each pastry onto almonds. Press gently so almonds stick to dough.
- Place almond side up on the cookies sheet, spreading each cut slightly to form claw like shape. Sprinkle remaining almonds over top of pastries.
- Bake for 15-18 min or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack and cool for 5 minute.
- Drizzle cooled glaze over each pastry.
- In another small bowl, mix icing ingredients until smooth - if too thick, add 1/2 teaspoons water at a time until drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over cooled pastries.