Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a classic French filling for a meal or snack crepe. I don't like fried eggs, but I like the egg in this. The trick is to get the egg perfectly cooked so that it is cooked through, but still soft and rich. Of course, you can also fill crepes with just ham and cheese, or cheese and vegetables with egg. Cooking time listed here does not include cooking the crepes.
- 1 prepared crepe (I like Basic Whole Wheat French Crepes)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup swiss cheese or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 slice ham (or several small slices)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon parsley (optional)
- Lay the crepe flat on a pan or griddle over medium heat.
- Arrange the cheese and ham on the crepe - make a nest for the egg, and also think about how you plan to fold the crepe and arrange the filling accordingly.
- Break the egg onto the crepe.
- Cook for a few minutes until the egg whites are white but very tender, and the yolk cooked but still runny - if you like, fold the crepe and cook for a few minutes on the other side.
- Remove the crepe to a plate.
- Garnish with minced parsley, if desired.