Recipe by Derf
Impressive guest dessert. When blueberries are not in season, they can be replaced with any other berries available. Raspberries or cranberries are very nice.(from low fat cooking)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 egg whites
- 7⁄8 cup skim milk
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- oil, for frying
- yogurt or light creme fraiche, to serve or fat free sour cream
- 4 medium oranges
- 2 cups blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the crepes, sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add the egg whites, milk and orange juice.
- Whisk hard, until all the liquid has been incorporated and the batter is smooth and bubbly.
- Lightly grease a heavy or non stick pancake or crepe pan and heat it until it is very hot.
- Pour in just enough batter to cover the base of the pan, swirling it to cover the pan evenly.
- Cook until the crepe has set and is golden, then turn it to cook the other side.
- Remove the crepe to a sheet of kitchen paper.
- Cook the remaining batter to make 6 to 8 crepes.
- Place six small ovenproof bowls or moulds on a baking sheet up side down and lay the pancakes over these.
- Bake them in the oven for about 10 minutes or until they are crisp and set into shape.
- Lift the baskets off the moulds.
- Pare a thin piece of orange rind from on orange and cut it into fine strips.
- Blanch the strips in boiling water for 30 seconds, rinse them in cold water and set them aside.
- Cut all the peel and white pith from the oranges.
- Divide the oranges into segments, catching the juice, combine with the blueberries and warm them gently.
- Spoon the fruit into the baskets and scatter the rind over the top.
- Serve with yogurt, light creme fraiche or no fat sour cream.
- Do not fill the baskets too soon, should be done immediately before serving, to keep the crepe crisp.