Recipe from _125 Gluten-Free Vegetarian Recipes_ by Carol Feinster. Posted for ZWT 9.
Make and share this Creole Vegetables on Basmati Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 summer squash, sliced
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, fire roasted
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- hot sauce, to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (whisked into 2 T cold water)
- 4 cups basmati rice, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, for garnish
- In a large pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce , Worcestershire, hone, chili powder, celery salt, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and cook over medium, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Serve over hot rice and garnish with parsley.
I actually used this as a side that incorporated both veggies and starch to accompany fish. Very easy to make and very tasty.
What a delicious way to serve a vegetarian dinner and not miss meat at all. We thoroughly enjoyed this meal and I will be making it again often. Thanks for sharing the recipe.