Recipe by Ewalla
I came up with this dish when I had an abudance of home grown creole tomatoes that I didn't want to go bad before I left to go out of town. I will definitely be making it again! Many of the measurements are estimates and feel free use whatever cheeses are available to you (I used what was in my fridge). You can also roast the tomatoes a day ahead to save time.
- 6 -8 medium tomatoes, sliced into rounds (creole)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 -3 basil leaves, torn
Directions See How It's Made
- To roast tomatoes: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place sliced tomatoes on 1-2 baking sheets so they are in a single layer. Season with 2 Tb EVOO and salt and pepper. Roast in oven about 1 hour and 30 minutues or until slighlty dried around the edges but still tender.
- Meanwhile defrost puff pastry according to package directions.
- While defrosting, caramelize onions in a medium saucepan with 2 Tb EVOO over medium heat. Once softened and slightly browned add about 1 tsp honey, salt and pepper. Stirring often.
- For tart: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Press pastry dough into a greased rectangle sheet pan and poke dough with a fork several times. Sprinkle mozzarella over crust. Top with tomatoes, onions, and torn basil. Sprinkle goat cheese and Parmesan on top. Bake about 20 minutes until crust is golden brown and crispy.