Tomatoes are an important part of Creole cooking of New Orleans and other Southern Cities. This salad is easy to put together while it adds color and yields abundant fresh flavor.
- 3 ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices (about 2 pounsa)
- 1 vidalia onions or 1 other sweet onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, fresh, minced
- 1. To prepare salad, alternate tomato and onion slices on a platter. Sprinkle with salt. Top with mint and chives.
- To prepare vinaigrette, combine oil, vinegar, mustard, and garlic in a jar. Cover tightly, shake vigorously.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over sald and serve at room temperature.