1/2 Photos of Creole-Style Vegetarian Jambalaya
1 hr 25 mins
Miss Annie's Note:
This is a pretty good recipe and using eggplant in this dish is a good idea. This dish has lots of room for you to improvise and create your own jambalaya. This recipe is Creole-style, with a tomato base, but you may omit the tomato paste and tomatoes if you want country-style jambalaya. Serve with a salad and ice cold beer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onions, small dice
- 1 cup red onion, small dice
- 1 cup bell pepper, small dice
- 1 cup celery, small dice
- 2 cups eggplants, small, diced
- 1 cup yellow squash, diced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups long grain rice
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions, shallots, celery, bell peppers and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the eggplant, squash, and zucchini, and saute until they're tender, about other 5 minutes or so.
- 4Add the tomatoes.
- 5Season with salt, Creole seasoning, and additional cayenne, if desired.
- 6Add the bay leaves.
- 7Add the rice and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 8Heat the tomato paste in a non-stick pan and stir, making sure it doesn't stick or burn, until the sugars in the paste begin to caramelize, and the paste begins to turn a deep mahogany color.
- 9Deglaze with some of the vegetable stock, stir and combine thoroughly.
- 10Add the tomato paste to the rest of the vegetable stock and stir until well-blended.
- 11Add the vegetable stock/tomato mixture to vegetables, stir and cover.
- 12Cook for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- 13Do not stir the jambalaya while it's cooking.
- 14Remove from heat and let stand for 2-3 minutes.
- 15Add the green onions and mix thoroughly.
- 16Garnish with some fresh long chives, and serve with a salad and good beer.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole-Style Vegetarian Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.6
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 190.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: