1/1 Photo of Creole-Style Black-Eyed Peas
Transplanted here from The Mayo Clinic's website for ZWT9. I did alter it a smidge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 cups canned low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1Sort & rinse peas.
- 2In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine black-eyed peas with water to cover. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes, cover, remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.
- 3Drain the water, leaving the peas in the saucepan. Add 2c broth, tomatoes, onion, celery, garlic, mustard, ginger, cayenne pepper and bay leaf. Stir together and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer slowly for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add water as necessary to keep the peas covered with liquid.
- 4Remove the bay leaf, pour into a serving bowl and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately with rice.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole-Style Black-Eyed Peas
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.3
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth
low-sodium crushed tomatoes