Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Zing up your everyday green beans into a wonderful Southern classic. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon green bell pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups green beans, cooked (canned is fine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, cooked (canned is fine)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons American cheese, grated
- 8 soda crackers, crumbled finely
- Brown onion and bell pepper in butter; combine with beans and tomatoes.
- Season and place in a buttered baking dish.
- Top with cracker crumbs and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 15 or 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.