1/1 Photo of Creole Spinach Salad
David J Rust's Note:
Again, this is one of those recipes that I came up with while fooling around with pretty standard ingredients. It could be spicier (maybe with the addition of some cayenne or hot sauce) or, perhaps, smokier with the addition of a dark roux, but I like it in its current incarnation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces bacon (thick slice, diced)
- 2 ounces celery (chopped)
- 4 ounces vidalia onions (frenched or cut radially)
- 4 ounces green bell peppers (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces andouille sausages (sliced into half-circle rounds)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (fresh, chopped)
- salt and black pepper
- 4 ounces spinach (fresh leaves, stems removed)
- 3 1/2 ounces lump crabmeat
- 1 ounce slivered almonds
- 1 ounce feta cheese
- 1To prepare, macerate the minced garlic in the extra virgin olive oil for at least 15 minutes, preferably while preparing the remaining ingredients. Set aside.
- 2In a skillet, preferably non-stick, render the fat from the bacon over medium heat. This will take about 5-10 minutes. When the bits of bacon are cooked, remove them and set aside, leaving the hot fat in the pan.
- 3Add the celery, onion, and green pepper and saute until the onions become translucent. Retaining as much of the extra virgin olive oil as possible, add the minced garlic and saute until the garlic turns light brown on the edges.
- 4Add the andouille sausage and saute until browned. Add the cilantro, balsamic vinegar, and molasses and stir.
- 5Wile the liquids reduce, prepare a salad bowl or serving platter with a bed of the spinach greens. Layer the lump crab meat, slivered almonds, and feta cheese over the spinach. Season the salad with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Add the remaining extra virgin olive oil to the hot skilled and spoon it over the salad to serve.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Spinach Salad
Serving Size: 1 (393 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 712.7
- Calories from Fat 500
- Total Fat 55.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 104.4 mg
- Sodium 1302.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 32.5 g