Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A basic shrimp stock for Louisiana-style cooking. Crab or fish stocks are made similarly, using crab shells or fish bones and heads.
- 4 quarts shrimp shells
- 8 quarts cold water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 ounces onions, diced
- 4 ounces leeks, white only, chopped
- 4 ounces celery, diced
- 4 ounces parsnips, chopped
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 cup parsley, coarsely chopped, stems and all
- 8 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn, cracked black
- Rinse shells briefly under cool water.
- Drain well.
- Heat heavy pot on stove.
- Add oil and shells.
- Sweat shells briefly until they turn pink.
- Add vegetables, sweat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cold water, parsley and herbs, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain liquid through fine cotton cloth, without pressing or aqueezing.
- Return liquid to a clean pot, add lemons, bring to full boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes until lemon is infused into stock.
- Remove lemon.
- Cool stock completely, freeze for future use.
Wonderful! The smell is divine and I can hardly wait to use it. Thank you QDM!