Recipe by AZRoxy63
Top Review by CindiJ
Oh my was this fantastic!! I made exactly as written and the whole family dug in. I put this together in less than 1 hour total time (start to serve). I will make this again! The flavors were bright and fresh and I could see serving this often this fall and winter. It is a very hearty dish. I served with a large tossed salad and recipe#109456. Made for August Seafood Challenge 2008. Thanks AZRoxy63 for a great recipe!
- 453.59 g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 44.37 ml flour
- 226.79 g cooked ham, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
- 236.59 ml chopped bell pepper
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 (850.48 g) can chicken broth
- 425.24 g can cajun-style stewed tomatoes, undrained and coppped
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 22.18 ml creole seasoning
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 473.18 ml uncooked long-grain rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Take tails off shrimp and set aside.
- Stir together vegetable oil and flour in a large pot.
- Cook over medium high heat stirring constantly for 12-15 minutes or until roux is caramel-colored.
- Add ham, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and onion.
- Saute 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, parsley, red pepper flakes, and creole seasoning; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in shrimp, cover, and cook 5 more minutes or just until shrimp turns pink.