Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spoon it over poached eggs or an omelet, or add a few cooked shrimp and pour over rice for a terrific supper dish. Prepare this sauce no more than one day in advance. Rewarm over low heat before serving.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup brown stock
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- Melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the pepper and onion and saute until transparent, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Then add the mushrooms and saute 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in the stock, garlic, and tomatoes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and thyme and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the sherry and serve very hot.