Recipe by Az B
from southernfood.about.com - Use this flavorful sauce as a base for fried green tomatoes or eggplant, or serve it as a sauce with seafood and rice or pasta.
Top Review by CHILI SPICE
Great flavor. Sauce didn't thicken up as much as I would have liked but the flavors were there. I served this spooned over chorizo/ground pork stuffed bell peppers. Yummy! [Made and reviewed for AUS/NZ recipe swap #29, June 2009]
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green peppers or 1⁄2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter and oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, chopped celery and bell pepper; sauté until tender.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients.
- Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with fried green tomatoes or eggplant, or use with shrimp or other seafood.