Recipe by mollypaul
A zesty sauce from the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 4 tablespoons green bell peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tomatoes (either fresh or canned)
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup stuffed olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons meat drippings
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion and pepper in butter for five minutes; add tomatoes, mushrooms and olives and cook for two minutes.
- Add brown sauce, salt and peppr.
- Heat to boiling and serve hot.
- For the brown sauce: melt fat, add onion and cook until golden.
- Blend in flour, continue to brown until flour reaches desired color.
- Add stock or water gradually; season and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.