Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Use this sauce on the meatloaf. Even better if made the night before!
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces margarine
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 32 ounces diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Melt butter in a large skillet and lightly saute' onions, bell pepper and celery.
- Add garlic and green onions then transfer to a heavy 3 or 4 quart pot.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil while stirring constantly to avoid scorching.
- Add rest of ingredients and reduce heat to simmering, stirring often.
- Simmer 20-25 minutes or until flavors are well blended.