Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Crole sauce can be served over beef or lamb croquettes or other unseasoned meatballs.
- 2 cups water
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch oregano
- Place all ingredients into a sauce pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 2 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, check the sauce for thickness.
- If the sauce is thin, thicken it with 1/4 cup cornstarch dissolved in cup of water.
We really like this as a sauce for stuffed peppers. The only thing I do differently is sweat the onions and celery until soft and add 1 clove garlic.