Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mom taught me how to cook this dish.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can whole tomato
- 1 bouillon cube, dissolved in
- 1 cup water
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash red pepper
- okra, sliced (optional)
- Fry bacon till crisp.
- You can also use ham slices but bacon taste best to me.
- Drain all but 2 Tbs drippings.
- Add onions,pepper,cook till tender.
- Stir in rice,tomatoes,broth,and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil,cover and simmer over low heat 20 mins.
- Allow to stand for 10 mins before serving.
I made this recipe as directed except I left out the okra, only cause my DD doesn't like them. So the next time I make this I would like to try it with okra since I really like them. She found the rice to be a bit too spicy for her, but I really liked it, but it definitely has a good kick. Perhaps I put in more than a dash of the pepper now that I think about it. It didn't take the whole 20 minutes to cook either, it was ready by 15. Thanks for sharing your recipe Joannanla.