First off, there is no rabbit in this recipe. This is a take-off from the Welsh Rabbit with a New Orleans flavor. I recently moved my mother to a retirement home and this was in her recipe box. It says "For a Lenten main dish, omit the bacon and serve over fluffy rice".
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Add onion and green pepper and cook until tender but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt butter, blend in flour.
- Gradually add milk and cheddar cheese.
- Cook until thickened.
- Serve over toast.
- Use cheddar sauce first and top with creole mixture.