First off, there is no rabbit in this recipe. This is a take-off from the Welsh Rabbit with a New Orleans flavor. I recently moved my mother to a retirement home and this was in her recipe box. It says "For a Lenten main dish, omit the bacon and serve over fluffy rice".
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Add onion and green pepper and cook until tender but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt butter, blend in flour.
- Gradually add milk and cheddar cheese.
- Cook until thickened.
- Serve over toast.
- Use cheddar sauce first and top with creole mixture.
We enjoyed this for lunch today. It's flavorful twist on the traditional rarebit. I used red pepper instead of green, but otherwise followed the recipe. There might be a mistake in the amount of milk needed - after adding the milk & cheese to the butter & flour, it was very paste-y, so I had to blend in almost the same amount of milk again.