Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
This is a thick and hearty meatless stew.
Make and share this Creole Potato Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 large potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 stuffed green olives, cut crosswise in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
- Add small amounts of water if necessary, about a tablespoon at a time, to prevent drying.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are very tender.
- Stir several times while cooking.
- Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
I made this as a soup last week when I was recovering from a bad cold ~ very warming. Loved the combination of flavors (I added 1 tsp on creole seasoning to the mix), and also made it in the crockpot. Turned out wonderfully, and not a drop left. Thanks morgainegeiser ~ made for FALL PAC 2009!