Recipe by Cookin' in NJ
This is one of the best potato salads I've ever had. My friend's mom made this at a party and she went through 2 whole batches!! The recipe comes from The Dinosaur BBQ Restaurant in Rochester, NY. **Note** The creole recipe in the ingredients section makes 2 1/2 cups, save the balance in a zip top bag in the freezer for future use.
Top Review by iris5555
I love a good potato salad and this is a great one. I've made this recipe many, many times and it's one of my favorite recipes from the Dinosaur cookbook. I don't add the bacon, though. Otherwise, I don't tamper with perfection.
- 1⁄2 cup paprika
- 1⁄2 cup granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 cup granulated onion
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup minced red onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning (above)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup creole mustard or 1⁄2 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Hard-boil eggs, peel, chop and set aside.
- Cook Bacon, drain, crumble and set aside.
- Drop the potatoes in a pot of well salted boiling water and cook until a fork pierces their flesh easily.
- Drain and cut the potatoes into 1 inch chunks.
- Mix them together in a large bowl with the eggs, onions, celery, garlic, creole seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Make the dressing by whisking up the mayonnaise with the mustard and brown sugar.
- Pour over the potatoes and stir well.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and creole seasoning if more is needed.
- Top with crumbled backin right before serving.