Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Veal and pork stewed with celery, onion, and green pepper.
Make and share this Creole Pork and Veal Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs veal stew meat
- 1 lb pork, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup tomato juice
- 1 1⁄3 cups cold water
- Season veal and pork with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, stir flour in gradually.
- Lower heat.
- It is very important that you keep stirring constantly.
- After all of the flour has been combined with the oil, turn the heat down very low and cook until golden brown, still stirring constantly.
- Add seasoned meat to the roux and simmer, uncovered over medium heat, turning occasionally until browned on all sides (15 minutes).
- Add celery, onion, garlic, thyme, and green pepper, and sauté until onion is wilted (5 minutes).
- Add tomato juice and water, and mix well.
- Let cook overlow heat until meat is tender (30 minutes).
- Serve over rice.