Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Dickie Brennan's Steak House.
- 3 lbs yellow onions, julienned
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 quart milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces white wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, fresh ground
- In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the flour and cook for 8 minutes, stirring constantly. (Be careful not to burn the flour).
- Add the chicken stock, milk and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Reduce down to medium heat and remove both bay leaves.
- Add the white wine, bring to a boil and stir on low speed with a hand mixer.
- While mixing, slowly add the cheddar cheese until dissolved.
- Reduce to low heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in a bowl with croutons, if desired.