Recipe by Gloria 15x
I had a version of this in New Orleans and it is rich and wonderful. It freezes beautifully too.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large pot and saute the onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Blend in the flour and cook over medium heat another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Adjust the seasoning with salt to taste.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Serve as is, topped with Parmesan cheese or blend until smooth if you prefer.