Recipe by twissis
Found at a cooking-by-country (or region) website, who does not smile when they see meat loaf on their dinner table? Pair this w/your favorite thick mashed potatoes & my also newly entered recipe for Louisiana Green Beans & you will feel like you are dining in Bayou Country. Enjoy!
Top Review by Pesto lover
I knew I would like this meatloaf because of the ingredients used. I don't like them if they don't have vegetables in them. The vegetables in this one gave good texture. It was very tasty and everyone liked it. I will be making it again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
For the Meat Loaf
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large carrot (finely chopped or grated)
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, deseeded & chopped
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs (heaping)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 3 teaspoons creole seasoning
For the Sauce
- 14 ounces canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 ounces mushrooms, thin-sliced
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) & grease a 9-inch long loaf tin.
- Place all ingredients in a lrg mixing bowl & mix w/a fork until blended.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the greased loaf tin, shape into a 9-inch loaf & bake for 40 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is baking – In a sml bowl, mix the cornstarch w/a little water to form a runny paste. Then place the tomatoes in a saucepan w/the cornstarch mixture, salt & pepper. Cook over med-heat (stirring constantly) until thickened & set aside.
- After the 40 minute bake time for the meatloaf, sprinkle mushrooms over the meatloaf, spoon the sauce mixture over the top & return the meat loaf to the oven for a further 15 minutes. Serve hot.