Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Found at a cooking-by-country (or region) website, who does not smile when they see meat loaf on their dinner table? Pair this w/your favorite thick mashed potatoes & my also newly entered recipe for Louisiana Green Beans & you will feel like you are dining in Bayou Country. Enjoy!
For the Meat Loaf
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large carrot (finely chopped or grated)
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, deseeded & chopped
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs (heaping)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 3 teaspoons creole seasoning
For the Sauce
- 14 ounces canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 ounces mushrooms, thin-sliced
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) & grease a 9-inch long loaf tin.
- Place all ingredients in a lrg mixing bowl & mix w/a fork until blended.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the greased loaf tin, shape into a 9-inch loaf & bake for 40 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is baking – In a sml bowl, mix the cornstarch w/a little water to form a runny paste. Then place the tomatoes in a saucepan w/the cornstarch mixture, salt & pepper. Cook over med-heat (stirring constantly) until thickened & set aside.
- After the 40 minute bake time for the meatloaf, sprinkle mushrooms over the meatloaf, spoon the sauce mixture over the top & return the meat loaf to the oven for a further 15 minutes. Serve hot.
I knew I would like this meatloaf because of the ingredients used. I don't like them if they don't have vegetables in them. The vegetables in this one gave good texture. It was very tasty and everyone liked it. I will be making it again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Easy to make and flavorful. Liked the sauce, because it wasn't sweet like so many meatloaf toppings. Looking forward to a meatloaf sandwich tomorrow! Made for ZWT 9.
This was very good and easy to make. The flavor came mostly from the seasoning, so the type of creole seasoning you use could make a big difference here. Since the veggies were all chopped and not cooked down first, the pieces were larger in the meat than I anticipated and I was afraid that it wouldn't hold together, so I made meatloaf muffins instead of a full loaf. It was very tender and had a nice spice to it.