Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I don't care for Weetabix cereal as a cereal itself, but the recipe on the box I saw years ago for using the cereal in meat loaf is insanely yummy! I figured, people put corn flakes in meat loaf, so why not try this. I add green bell peppers as well as the red called for.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 4 Weetabix (crushed)
- 1 cup chili sauce, divided (I use Heinz)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely chopped, divided
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, finely chopped, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Combine the ground beef, egg, crushed Weetabix, 1/2 cup of the chili sauce, 1/4 cup each of the peppers, and 1/2 of the chopped onion in a bowl. Mix well but don't over handle.
- Place in a large loaf pan, pat firmly.
- Bake at 375°F, for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the remaining peppers, onion, and the garlic in the oil until tender. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup chili sauce, and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Drain excess fat from the meat loaf. Top with the sauce and bake a further 10 minutes.