Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
A wonderful way to serve lima beans, either as a main or side dish. Great served over mashed potatoes, rice or just by itself (how I like it). Also great with cornbread. Recipe calls for one pound of kielbasa but if you like it meaty, add 2 pounds.
- 1 lb dried large lima beans
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 fresh tomato
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb kielbasa, sliced
- salt and pepper
- Soak beans in enough water to cover, overnight; drain and rinse. Melt butter and add onion and garlic. Saute for 10 minutes. Add fresh tomato and sugar. Saute for 5 minutes. Add Rotels, beans, sausage and enough water to cover beans by one inch. Cook 2 hours or until tender. Add salt and pepper. Serve over rice.