Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Try this sauce hot on your gingerbread, too. From the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time is approximate.
- 7⁄8 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh is best
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy; add egg.
- Add lemon juice and rind; mix well and beat in water, 1 teaspoon at a time, beating hard between additions.
- Heat over boiling water until very hot, stirring constantly.
- Add nutmeg.